22.1.12

"If ____ was our Narrator" Nick the Narrator

~This is the version of my merely rewritten scene through Nick's narration from only chapter 5 on pages 86 and 87.

Gatsby, as his nervous hands stayed in his pocket to keep from how scared his actually was to Daisy, was reclining against the mantelpiece pretending to be at ease with absolute boredom. His head leaned back really far, in fact so far, it rested against the face of a useless clock, and from this jocular position, his frenetic eyes looked down at Daisy who sat, disheartened but graceful, on the edge of a stiff chair that represented the conversation perfectly.
"We've met before," muttered Gatsby failing to deliver credence in his voice which was expected of him.. His eyes glanced for a minute towards me, and his lips part attempting to laugh, but not really. Due to the awkward mood through silence in the room, it was relief when the clock tilted from the pressure of his head, whereupon he turned and caught it while his hands shook tremendously to put it back in place.
"I'm sorry about the clock," he said.
My own face was now assuming to burn turning all sorts of colors annoyed. I couldn't find at least one peaceful place in my mind .
"It's an old clock," I told them foolishly.
I think that is was clearly apparent of the condition of the clock that was now smashed into pieces on the floor.
"We haven't met for many years." said Daisy, her voice breaking the stone cold ice as much as she could ever.
"Five years next November."
The swiftness of Gatsby's answer to what was meant to be a conversation opening comment put us all back to square one for at least another minute. Just as soon as I got them both to stand up and desperately help me come make tea to take a crack at the awkward ice, Finn came in the room with it already on the tray!
However, I must say, the lack of communication between me and Finnwith the presence of cups & cakes, took a strain off of the physical comfort in everyone. That's when Gatsby's seclusion of himself from the conversation made him feel awkward and distant all over again as me and Daisy talked. So, for Gatsby's sake, I realized the whole purpose of this meeting which wasn't about me getting to know my cousin more,but set the scene for the two to rekindle their love and came up with the first possible excuse to leave the room.
"I'll be back."

No comments:

Post a Comment